Sunday, May 6, 2012

Overrated - TV Show - Survivor



I don't watch a lot of reality TV. I do remember, though, when it first started to become popular, how much I got into Survivor. I remember watching it way back when in 2000, and I loved it. My friends and I would take turns watching it in each others' basements. It was great, I even won the pool we had going about who the winner would be (always naked Richard, ugh). I remember liking it for one main reason: it seemed like a real physical challenge. People starved, had to survive rainstorms with no shelter, and had gross sand fleas. Oh, and they had to put up with a bunch of really weird people.

I don't know how it happened, but I started watching Survivor again this year. Cancelling my cable probably helped. I hate it, but I can't look away.


 Pictured: "Surviving"





My biggest problem is that my main reason for loving it years and years ago is gone.  It seems like there is no surviving! Every other challenge is centered around food! There's no need to hunt or scavenge because there are so many food companies sponsoring challenges.

Also (and I feel silly even bringing this up as a critique of a reality show), there's so much stupid drama. At this point I'm probably being redundant, but Survivor and reality TV in general just seems so overrated. Where is the entertainment in watching people fight and talk, talk and then fight, and then maybe talk some more about how hurt they are that other people want to win the show. I don't mind scheming and plotting, that can be fun to watch, but everyone takes everything so personally. The goal is to win, and everyone wants to win. So many of the people act so insulted all the time without the excuse of being physically drained. I don't understand it.


No comments:

Post a Comment