Monday, February 20, 2012

Underrated Sports Event - The World Cup

The World Cup can be so much fun if you give it a chance. Instead of one night like the Super Bowl, you get one crazy month! And, instead of every year, it’s every four years, so when it happens it seems way more special. For some reason, the really big American Football fans I know resist watching soccer.

I first started watching the World Cup in 2006 when it took place in Germany. I didn’t encounter very many people at the time that watched it. Then in 2010, it was located in South Africa, and while more people watched it that I knew, I still consider it an underrated event. Ask someone if they know what a vuvuzela is. If they know, they probably watched the last World Cup.


The games are straightforward: two 45-minute periods. Half time is not a long drawn out affair. The focus is on the game. The players are great athletes, there are always some amazing kicks and shots scored. If you are bored by the game, you focus on the crazy fans. There are always groups of people either in full body paint, or dressed completely ridiculously. Another fun thing to do while watching is reenact the players pretending they are hurt in front of the referees. Click here for a funny example.


I love that the teams are split up by country. It’s just like the Olympics, so I can be patriotic and root for Team USA, but if Italy has a game I have no problem getting excited.


The next World Cup will be in Brazil in 2014. And don’t forget, there is also a Women’s World Cup!


1 comment:

  1. It's sad how soccer is so under-rated in America. This sport is celebrated world-wide and Americans don't want to be apart of all the action. I watch clips on YouTube of all the fans going crazy. It's ridiculous and extremely entertaining. I love it! Wish they showed soccer games on regular tv like football or even golf. I can only watch soccer games on Spanish stations. The only word I understand is GOAL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete