Thursday, April 19, 2012

Overrated - Keurig Coffee


I received a Keurig single serve coffee maker as a gift a few years ago. I loved it. It's easy and it's fast. Insert coffee pod and water and just push a button. Coffee is ready in minutes. Cleaning up is simple too, you just throw out a coffee pod.

Why the overrated tag then? There are three critiques I have, but they are pretty important when it comes to coffee.

1. The taste - Coffee that comes from a k-cup isn't that great. There are tons of different brands to try, but the ones that I tried were slightly bitter. This is easy to mask with lots of cream and/or sugar, but if you drink it black, it's hard.

2. Using different brands - If you want to use a brand that doesn't come in a k-cup, it's not worth it. The whole point of the machine is to use the prepackaged k-cups. Around the holidays I was given four (!!!!!) bags of White Russian flavored coffee, but since it didn't come in a k-cup, I had to try a bunch of different methods to brew it in the Keurig. I tried the special basket you can buy (which defeats the purpose of a quick and easy cup of coffee, it's messy!). I tried hacks I found online whereI emptied old k-cups and washed them and covered them with tinfoil. Both ways produced weak, sad cups of coffee.


Pods


3. Price - Tons of stores sell k-cups now, but they all have different prices and it's hard to get the best deal. When it's not on sale, each k-cup comes out to around $0.50-$0.55. That's better than buying a cup at Starbucks, but it's not as good as buying a bag at the store.

So, I definitely understand why people love Keurig coffee makers, but for me they are slightly overrated. I still have my Keurig, it's just on a shelf right now, waiting for more delicious, slightly less expensive options.

No comments:

Post a Comment