Friday, March 2, 2012

Overrated Finger Food - Chicken Wings

Wings are overrated for two very important reasons. They are messy, and they are always a gamble when ordered in a restaurant. Can chicken wings be delicious? Yes. They're still annoying to eat.


I have no problem with the taste of wings, but I find them to be more trouble than they are worth when eating out. I don't like getting my hands that dirty when I eat, I'm the weirdo who will eat french fries with a fork. In the privacy of my apartment I will eat messy foods because it's not as weird for me to wash my hands a bunch of times. In a restaurant? No. And wet naps are never enough! Also, wings take energy to eat. For the amount of meat on each wing there is a lot of effort involved. And if you are out with friends, you spend more time focused on not being too messy than you do on any conversation.


The second reason wings are an overrated food is because they are always a mystery. Unless you have been to that restaurant before, you never know exactly what type of wings you will be getting until the server brings them out. Sure, they are usually the same size, but sometimes they are really crispy throughout and sometimes they are soft. Or coated in breading. Sometimes the sauce is really thick, sometimes it's on the side. They are even bright orange occasionally. Inevitably, whichever type of wing you were craving is not the wing being served. (Mozzarella sticks are another food like this. When I would waitress I grew to expect disappointed faces whenever I brought out the mozzarella sticks. They were the saddest flattest sticks I've ever seen. They looked like tan dominoes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment